Wow… 2011 was quite the year for AMAZING music! We were blessed with some amazing tunes to blast in our earbuds, in the car, and all over the place. Thanks to everyone who gave me their ideas of what I should throw in here. So let’s get started:
Honorable mention (in alphabetical order):
- Alesana: A Place Where The Sun Is Silent
- Art of Dying: Vices And Virtues
- Blessthefall: Awakening
- Breathe Carolina: Hell Is What You Make It
- Coldplay: Mylo Xyloto
- Five Finger Death Punch: American Capitalist
- Korn: The Path Of Totality
- Of Mice & Men: The Flood
- Protest The Hero: Scurrilous
- Red: Until We Have Faces
- The Color Morale: My Devil in Your Eyes
- The Devil Wears Prada: Dead Throne
- The Human Abstract: Digital Veil
- Trivium: In Waves
Now the Top 10 list:
10. Texas In July: “One Reality”: The band from Lancaster, PA put out a solid metalcore album featuring brutal vocals, tight back-and-forth guitars, and Adam Gray, the beast, on drums (he’s been featured on Jay Leno). The fact that I saw them twice, including once front row, helped in this decision too.
FOR FANS OF: AUGUST BURNS RED
DOWNLOAD: “1000 LIES”
9. We Came As Romans: “Understanding What We’ve Grown To Be”: One of the fastest rising bands in the scene today scores big on their second record. Their epic melodies combine the brutality of a band like Parkway Drive with singing sections that get you to sing along. If you liked their first album, then you will feel right at home with this. Oh, and it features the best album art I have seen in a while.
FOR FANS OF: ATTACK ATTACK!
DOWNLOAD: “UNDERSTANDING WHAT WE’VE GROWN TO BE”
8. Rise Against: Endgame: The rock legends had a lot of expectations with this album and they did not release. The political lyrics are still there and the emotion that they have always had is still there. Like I said in my last music article, it will never top The Sufferer And The Witness and it will not go back to their strict punk roots, but it is still fantastic nonetheless.
FOR FANS OF: SUM 41 but they are one of the most influential bands in music today.
DOWNLOAD: “MAKE IT STOP (SEPTEMBER’S CHILDREN)”
7. Born Of Osiris: The Discovery: One of the best bands on Sumerian Records had a huge year in 2011, ending it with their own headlining tour in the US. Most of it was because of this album, a technical and heavy gem. With dualing guitar solos that blow the mind throughout the album to go alongside Joe Buras’ work on keyboard, this is better than your everyday metal album.
FOR FANS OF: PERIPHERY
6. Betraying The Martyrs: “Breathe In Life”: If you have heard of these guys before this, you’re one of few. The French deathcore band exploded onto the scene thanks to their label, Sumerian Records, and now fans know that there is a deathcore band that can bring the brutality of Whitechapel and add great singing to it.
FOR FANS OF: WHITECHAPEL/THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA
DOWNLOAD: “MAN MADE DISASTER”
5. August Burns Red: “Leveler”: The metalcore giants and Warped Tour co-headliners bring their most diverse album to the table in 2011. Combining what worked in “Messengers” and “Constellations,” my favorite metal band delivers with one of the best of 2011 with inspired lyrics, beautiful guitar melodies courtesy of JB Brubaker, and crushing breakdowns.
FOR FANS OF: PARKWAY DRIVE
4. Foo Fighters: “Wasting Light”: One of the biggest rock groups in history led by a LEGEND in Dave Grohl made one of their best albums to date. The album itself was made in Dave’s garage on an analog tape and turned into iTunes’ “album of the year”. Songs such as “White Limo” and “Walk” will be hard rock classics.
FOR FANS OF: Seriously, if you haven’t heard of them, wake up.
3. Times Of Grace: “The Hymn Of A Broken Man”: The Killswitch Engage side project released what turned out to be one of the best albums of 2011. Ex-KSE vocalist Jesse Leach and current guitarist Adam D put together a spiritual album that is as uplifting as it is metal. Maybe this means there will be a new KSE album in 2012… we can only hope.
FOR FANS OF: KILLSWITCH ENGAGE
DOWNLOAD: “HYMN OF A BROKEN MAN”
And there is a TIE for the #1 spot because I really could not decide.
-Oh, Sleeper: “Children Of Fire”: A relatively unknown metalcore band on the same label as August Burns Red and Haste The Day put out an album better than their peers? Just listen to it. Shane Clay’s beautiful singing and guitar work combined with Micah Kinard’s fierce lead vocals and deep lyrics give out goosebumps.
FOR FANS OF: HASTE THE DAY/AUGUST BURNS RED
DOWNLOAD: “HUSH YAEL” (but read this before listening: http://wapo.st/rW3tHb)
Oh, and if you like or play ACOUSTIC GUITAR, listen below:
-Blink-182: “Neighborhoods”: Only one of the biggest punk bands of all time finally reunited to put what they worked on in between albums (Angels and Airwaves & +44) together into awesomeness. What more needs to be said?
FOR FANS OF: ANGELS AND AIRWAVES/+44
DOWNLOAD: “UP ALL NIGHT” OR “HEART’S ALL GONE”
You can check out more music I love on my Last FM profile right here. And as always, feedback is GREATLY appreciated. What albums are you loving??
Thanks so much for stopping by! :)